share this page

Working in Ireland

Casual Employment

If you are a non-EU student, you are entitled to work up to 20 hours part-time per week and full-time during the holidays. You do not require a work permit if you are a full time student. This entitlement to employment ceases once your student visa runs out. If you wish to continue in employment after finishing your study you will require a work permit. If you are an EU national you have the same entitlement to employment as that of an Irish person.

Applying for a PPS Number

in order to work in Ireland, you must apply for a PPS number, which is similar to a national identity number/social security number. You must be full registered with CIT prior to applying for a PPS number.

PPS number applications will only be accepted with a pre-booked appointment from the Department of Social Protection.

Before arriving for your appointment, please ensure you have been allocated a date, time, and desk number. Without these, you may not have a valid appointment.

You will need to present the following
1. Passport
2. Proof of Address
3. Immigration Card
4. CIT Student ID Card
5. Letter from CIT confirming your student registration.

Following successful registration, customers will be advised of their new number, within 3 to 5 working days, through the issue of a letter of notification sent automatically to the address given on the application form.

Non-EU, full-time full-year students can work 20 hours per week during term time or full-time, up to 40 hours, during holiday time (May, June, July, August and between 15th December and 15th January).

Students carrying out a training period in a company whilst in Ireland will also require a PPS number.

The most up to date information is available here

Opening hours and Cork location map information is available here





© 2012 CIT | web development by Granite Digital